Winchester
Cathedral: Graffiti everywhere
Winchester Cathedral has a long history and is
associated with many Saxon kings of Wessex and England. The most famous of them
being Alfred the Great. The cathedral has quite large amounts of graffiti on
the pillars and tombs.
Living in Southampton which can only be described as
an urban jungle apart from the few old buildings, is hard when you’re used to
the rural villages of Suffolk and Essex. This means that I go on many trips to
the neighbouring towns and villages just to escape. Winchester being a small
town with nice old streets and buildings is a nice way of escaping from the
urban jungle of Southampton. Winchester is dominated by its magnificent
cathedral.
The cathedral gets many visitors each year, many of
which thought I was mad on the day of my visit. This one guy asked what I was
doing so I said looking at medieval graffiti. He looked at what I was looking
at which had a date of the 1500s and said load of rubbish probably written
yesterday. I said who would write something with a date of 1500 and he said
humans for you. I suppose you cannot convince everyone, but anyone in the
Southampton area who finds fresh looking graffiti with an old date I think I
could have found your man!!
The images below show some of the examples found.
| photo - Aldous Rees |
| photo - Aldous Rees |
| photo - Aldous Rees |
| photo - Aldous Rees |
| photo - Aldous Rees |
No comments:
Post a Comment